..... long-suffering

A while ago, I was reading in Exodus when Moses was telling Pharaoh to let the Israelites go. If you don't know the story, basically God tells Moses to talk to Pharaoh and threaten him with ten plagues. Each time God would harden Pharaoh's heart, and he would say no. Each plague occurred and was worse than the one that preceded it. The last plague ended with Pharaoh's son dying and he finally let the nation of Israelites go.

This is the first time I thought about Moses and what he must have been going through. God sent him on a mission, free the people of Israel. He did want God told him to do but did not get the results he wanted. Clearly, God was with him. The ten plagues could only come from God. But why was Pharaoh saying no? What if Moses had quit and said he was done going back to Pharaoh?

As I reflect on my life, I truly believe God is growing long-suffering in me. I can think of 3 specific areas where I know God is calling me to wait; to be long-suffering toward a person or situation. What would happen if I quit? What's on the other side of waiting, going back, and asking again.
As I type this, I'm reminded that the Bible says,  if we knock the door will be open to us. But we must keep knocking. We have to wait on God to answer us. I'm convinced that many of the things I've missed in life are because I didn't wait on God. I gave up and moved to something else even if I believed it was God's word toward me or for me.

But I must be like Moses, I have to keep going back. I must move toward the things he has said. I would say in general long-suffering is missing from our culture; we don't want to wait on God and the things he has said. Moses had to go back 10 times. That's 9x more than most of my age group and younger would ever do.

As I reflect more, I'm reminded that Moses took Aaron with him on this journey. We must take others with us on this journey. I don't have to wait alone. There can be the community around me that can wait with me. I don't know what this has to do with thing else I said but I felt like I should write it.

The full story can be read in Exodus 7-11.

God is good y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts