You don't work you don't eat

I was talking to my aunt one day and she said, "you don't leave your paying job to work for free." This is logical, very logical, I cannot lie. But I don't know if its the best advice. We love to quote "if you don't work you don't eat" which is a variation of 2 Thessalonians 3:10. Being that its the word of God I completely agree. Laziness is not godly in shape form or fashion. But another truth that has come to my mind is work does not equal money. We like to think in America that if we work hard we'll be successful. That's not true. Janitors work hard but only make $10/hr. In high school (college too for that matter) I never studied and graduated with honors. I didn't work hard but still succeeded.

The bible warns that we should work in order to eat. This verse in particular says nothing about money and until recently I never got that. I assumed like most Americans that the harder I work the richer I'll be. A few weeks ago I was talking with a few of my friends and one asked "How many jobs do you have?" I began to count and realize that most of them I do for free. The more I work for free in several areas of my life, the more I realize God's word is true. (Please read the whole passage below.) I will eat and I will not be a burden to those around me. As I go into 2018 still working for free I will hang on to the notion that I will eat as long as I work unto the Lord.

In the situation I referenced above with my aunt, I was going to ask off to go help my friend build his is company. I was going to give him a few hours and help him succeed. As my friends open businesses and move toward their dreams I don't hesitate to give them my time. I've done all types of random things for the sake of support and have never been begging for bread. It's amazing how faithful God has been in this stage of my life.

God is good y'all!

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching[a] you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” 2 Thessalonians 3:6-10

Comments

Popular Posts