What's in a name?

Lately I've been intrigued by names. What do they mean by definition? What do they mean to that person? Where do they come from? Why do they matter?

The story of Jacob in the Bible is the only story I know of where God gives someone a new name but they are continually called by their old name. All through the story of Jacob is called Israel and Jacob. It's interesting to read. 


I read plenty of commentaries about it and they all had different reasons. I believe that Jacob simply didn't know who he was. He didn't know how to be Israel so he stayed Jacob. 

I wonder how much I do that?
How much do I believe myself to be something I'm not (good or bad). God wants to continue to give me new identity in all areas of my life. I have to take them and not look back. 

I can't be the old Jacob and want the promise of the new Israel. I have to choose which path I'm going to take. 

Pray for me that I choose the new name and new life. 

God is good y'all! 

Comments

Popular Posts